Dawn & Patrick -

We're looking for the trash fence

I still owe you my detailed notes and thoughts on this process and I'm holding those back for now, but I wanted to let you know what is up with our offer and the boat. Wednesday Dawn, My Broker, My Surveyor and I were in Blaine and taking the boat to Pt. Roberts to be hauled-out. The Surveyor and I were down below going through the v-berth area when the over-heat alarm started to go off. So we shut her down, sailed back to Blaine and the selling broker started to look at the engine while my Surveyor completed the part of the survey that could be done without the haulout.

The selling broker checked the water impeller and it looked good to him. He then started to look at the heat exchanger and to run a coat hanger through the slots to clean it out. There were broken zincs and impeller bits in their and he decided to pull of the heat exchanger completely and have it boiled and pressure tested. Something that is typically done annually but clearly had not been done so recently on this boat.

So the game plan moving forward is to complete the survey in Bellingham (Blaine can't lift a Ketch and Pt. Roberts was not available) and then to sail her back to Blaine afterwards.

I view all of this as somewhat of a set back but I'm still waiting for the complete survey before making any final decisions. I obviously now have questions about the integrity of the engine overall. If you have any thoughts on this please do drop me a note.

More info when I have more info...