Here’s a series of shots of polishing and installing our chainplates. We polished them by hand starting by cleaning them with water and a scouring pad, then sanding them with progressively higher grained papers. The first go was with 100 grit and we ended up at 1200 grit. Mounting the paper to a board or a table was helpful, but this is intense labor and is very hard on the hands. However, paying someone to do it ridiculous. We did not put the chainplates (or any of the rigging we polished) on an actual polishing wheel, the 1200 grit seemed like it was as good as we were going to get.
As as DIY projects go, this is pretty easy one and just requires sandpaper, a bunch of free time (or late nights in my case) and a desire to stick through it.
Thanks to Port Townsend Rigging for the tips and the encouragement!
||Here’s the chainplate pulled and lying on the deck when we were in the paint shed back in November 2010.
||After cleaning them up we marked where the deck would be and covered that area with butyl.
||The butyl was then tamped down by hand until it was a bit recessed to the deck (no shot of that)
||The small space was then filled with Sika Flex, the chainplate covers were installed and any excess Sika Flex was cleaned off.
||A shot of the bolted on chainplate and the green bonding wire (which were also replaced) from below decks.
These pictures were taken in May 2010 and thus far we have had no chainplate leaking. (knock on teak)
In it’s original, more outboard location, a handle in the mainsheet winch could only be rotated about 1/2 way round because it hit the dodger. to grind in the sheet you had to saw back and forth on … Continue reading →
Here’s a brief comparison of different windvanes I did including prices … Continue reading →
Here’s a shot of Dawn at the masthead installing the stop on the sail track as the sun sets at Shilshole Bay Marina. You can see a close-up here. I would have installed it when the mast was in the … Continue reading →
I love to update the blog with checkboxes as we go. Feels good to celebrate the wins and document our progress. As you know we’re working toward stepping our masts on Thursday 24 June. I got all the pins from … Continue reading →
I only need this pins and then we can re-step the masts!! A .625” (5/8”) .269” (7/16”) B .719” (23/32”) .563” (9/16”) C .125” (1/8”) .125” (1/8”) D .875” (7/8”) .625” (5/8”) E 1.125” (1-1/8”) .75” (3/4”) F … Continue reading →
Before The chainplates were previously pulled and cleaned up with a Scrotchbrite pad and water. They were then polished by sanding with progressively finer grades of sand paper starting at 120 grit and going up to 1200 grit. Plates … Continue reading →
Dawn has finished re-installing the chainplates. She used leftover butyl from the portlight installation to seal the chainplates as they go through the deck and then put the cover plates on with 4200 and screws. The picture is is before … Continue reading →
“This is our chainplate. There are many like it, but this one is ours.” Dawn worked on the chainplates this weekend and here’s proof of progress. For our friends and family who don’t have boats, the chainplates bolt to the … Continue reading →
I just spent a good amount time tonight going over my spreadsheet for the running rigging. This sheet includes every line on the boat both ones I need to replace immediately before the masts go back up (topping lifts, running … Continue reading →